Date:      Mon, 10 Mar 2008 14:33:17 -0300
From:      Mario Lobo <mario.lobo@ipad.com.br>
To:        Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [OT?] tcpdump overhead

On Monday 10 March 2008, you wrote:
> > I am writing a final paper for a PG course and  I need to take precise
> > measurements on network performance. I gonna be doing lots of packet
> > dumps and I would like to know you guys' opinion on how much of tcpdump
> > overhead (if meaningful for these measurements) I should take into
> > account.
> >
> > If there are any readings on the subject you could point me to...
>
> no idea but small for sure. it would rather cause tcpdump to not catch all
> packets that network performance drop.

Thanks for the reply Wojciech.

=46orgive my english but I couldn't quite get what you meant by:

"it would rather cause tcpdump to not catch all packets that network=20
performance drop."

Could you rephrase that for me please ?

Thanks
=2D-=20
Mario Lobo
Seguran=E7a de Redes - Desenvolvimento e An=E1lise
IPAD - Instituto de Pesquisa e Apoio ao Desenvolvimento Tecnol=F3gico e=20
Cient=EDfico