Date:      Sat, 10 Feb 1996 18:48:17 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
Cc:        mark@grondar.za, dima@FreeBSD.org, ache@astral.msk.su, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Kerberos @ freebsd.org?

: The problem I have with Kerberos is that it does not --  to my knowledge --
: encrypt everything  from a telnet session.  So trafic from any  X11 program
: you start on the other side will not be encrypted.

Kerberos encrypts *EVERYTHING* from a telnet session (at least an
rlogin session).  However, you are correct that there is no X proxie
that participates in the encryption.

: SSH does it _automatically_.  When you think about  it, if you were looking
: for a reason to use it over Kerberos, you just got it.

For those things that SSH does, yes.  There is an X server proxies
that offers encryption.  That is a good feature of ssh.

The X protocol isn't secure at all...  I've not played with the ssh X
server proxie at this time.

However, ssh won't encrypt things like NFS traffic, mud traffic, etc.
So there are some limitations to its realms.  For example, there is no
ssh enryption for FTP sessions at this time, while there is for
Kerberos.  So there is a balance there.

Warner