Date:      Thu, 11 Jun 1998 08:50:20 +1000 (EST)
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Making world with gcc-2.8.1

I would like to do a make world using gcc-2.8.1, tweaked for my system
(ie Pentium-II), rather than the modified gcc-2.7.2.1 included in
2.2.6-R.

My preferred option is to change /usr/src/contrib/gcc to be gcc-2.8.1
(with the relevant FreeBSD native patches added from the old gcc) and
modify /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/cc to compile it.  I'm having problems
trying to get the correct rules for building things like c-parse.o
(where the object is wanted for cc1, but the source file was built
from c-parse.in by cc_tools.

A fallback procedure is to drop cc from the lib-tools list and
/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/Makefile, relying on the version installed in
/usr/local/bin instead.  (This also needs a few other tweaks to
make sure the system cc isn't used anywhere - particularly by mkdep).

Has anyone else attempted this?  Does anyone have any useful hints?

Peter
--
Peter Jeremy (VK2PJ)                    peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au
Alcatel Australia Limited