Date:      Thu, 23 May 1996 20:36:26 -0400
From:      Bill Lloyd <wlloyd@mpd.ca>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        Charles Owens <owensc@enc.edu>, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: stty settings (I think) and tip

Michael Smith wrote:

> Charles Owens stands accused of saying:
> >
> > I tried posting the following to -questions, but got no takers, so I
> > thought I'd try here.
> >
> > Surely _somebody_ uses tip to connect between two FreeBSD boxes!

I do.  It works.  But it can be frusterating.

> Nope.  I use 'cu'.  'cu -s 38400 -l /dev/cuaa0' and then dial the
> modem by hand.  Works for me...
>
> >   Charles Owens                                  Email:  owensc@enc.edu
>
> > I've observed similar (but much less debilitating) behavior over telnet
> > connections.  Specificly, if I telnet into another FreeBSD box and run
> > pkg_manage, I must use ^J in place of ENTER.  And, if I run pine, ^O
> > (suspend new message) doesn't work at all.

If you are having ctrl-j type problems, it probably means that the
parity is wrong.  Just because stty -f /dev/cuaa0 tells you its n81
doesn't seem to effect tip.

I have to use pa=none in /etc/remote.  Add it to the end of the line
entry that you need.  see man remote for more info.

tip cuaa0 and dial modem by hand.  Works for me.

William Lloyd (wlloyd@mpd.ca)