Date:      Fri, 17 Jul 1998 09:17:33 -0700 (PDT)
From:      patl@phoenix.volant.org
To:        Andre Albsmeier <andre.albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What hardware should I use for backing up about 60MB?

[ I've removed freebsd-questions from the Cc: - crossposting is ]
[ against the list charters.                                    ]

> I have to buy a backup system for use with -STABLE. I have
> used a Quantum DLT2700 which is a 15GB DLT drive with an autochanger
> with 7 slots. Unfortunatley, it belongs to another department
> here and I have to give it away. I was very satisfied with it
> but it is rather expensive.
>
> I have heard that an EXABYTE system would be a good deal
> but I really would hear any short statements before deciding.

I've been using Exabyte drives on various systems since about the
time Sun started offering them.  In my experience, they are highly
reliable and have excellent transfer performance.

A couple of years ago I started working for myself.  My systems in
my home office grew too large for the surplus QIC-150 tape that I
had been using; so I investigated the available tape backup options.
Since it is coming out of my own pocket, price was a factor.  Even
a refurbished Exabyte was noticably more expensive than a Travan.
BUT it makes up for it in cartridge costs.  Travan cartridges were
running $40 each as compared to $9 to $13 for an 8mm data cartridge.
For a one month cycle of daily backups, the difference in cartridge
price alone paid for a refurbished Exabyte 8505.  (And I get the
performance and reliability advantages.)

DLT probably offers even better reliability and performance; but
both drive and cartridges are more expensive.  Exabyte 8mm seems
to be the best compromise.

On the other hand, if you need an auto-changer; the Exabyte systems
are significantly more expensive than some of the DAT systems.  (And
physically larger.)  But their multi-tape systems offer options like
multiple drives sharing a single collection of tapes and a laser
bar-code scanner for positive cartridge id.

> If somebody uses a similar system on -STABLE, I would be very
> glad if he/she could drop me a short note telling me what
> he has got. I will need approx. 60 MB capacity but I am interested
> in anything which can be confirmed to work well on a -STABLE
> system.

Just about any SCSI tape should work in a FreeBSD system.  For 60Gb
(uncompressed) you will need either an auto-changer or a pair of
high-capacity drives.  The Exabyte Mammoth is rated for 20Gb native,
40Gb at 2:1 compression per cartridge.

You can find Exabyte data and price (MSRP) sheets at
	http://www.exabyte.com/

-Pat