Date:      Sun, 8 Nov 1998 16:00:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: docs/8610: boot.config.8 man page

The following reply was made to PR docs/8610; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To: rv@fore.com
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Sun, 08 Nov 1998 15:59:28 -0800

 > Having gone through the pains of booting an ELF kernel, I realized
 > that a man page for boot.config would have helped.

 Actually, the latest boot blocks do the right thing most clearly
 when /boot.config has been completely removed - disklabel the latest
 boot1/boot2 to your drive and check it out! :)

 > By defining /boot/loader as the program to boot, the loader will then
 > take over the boot process and load the default kernel /kernel, with
 > flags specified by /kernel.config.

 Not necessary if /boot.config does not exist at all.  I think perhaps
 the man page needs to be updated a little in light of the current
 defaults when boot.config is absent altogether, but it's definitely
 a good start!

 - Jordan