Date:      Sat, 23 Nov 1996 11:38:28 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD-current users)
Subject:   (un)protoize (Was: cdrom boot?)

As Michael Smith wrote:

> > Is it *currently* accompanied by unprotoize(1)?
>
> Probably.  Unprotoize is required for bootstrapping gcc on platforms with
> non-ANSI C compilers; this should be obvious.

I don't think so. :) It would become a chicken-and-egg problem then...
protoize and unprotoize use the undocumented -aux-info switch of gcc
in order to obtain the function prototype information from the
compiler parser.

``An undocumented feature is a bug.'' :) (Forgot the source, though.)

> > % man 1 unprotoize
> > No entry for unprotoize in section 1 of the manual
>
> FreeBSD obviously doesn't need unprotoize 8)

...nor have there ever been man pages for protoize and unprotoize
available.  If the usage information doesn't get you on the way, it's
UTSLware.

--
cheers, J"org