Date:      Tue, 4 Jun 1996 21:44:21 +0800
From:      "Miguel A.L. Paraz" <map@iphil.net>
To:        local-ir@apnic.net, inet-access@earth.com, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org, linuxisp@lightning.com
Subject:   Strategy for conserving IP address allocations

[This message has also been posted.]
Hello,

I'm interested in implementing firewalls, not for security, but
for conserving IP addresses.  As an ISP, I want to limit IP
address usage, and want to give large IP address blocks to
downstream ISPs only.

So far, I've had success with using the RFC 1918 space
(192.168.0.0 and company) for client networks.  However, this
requires application level proxies for everything that has
to get out.  Up to now, it has been fine, since proxies
are readily available for WWW and NNTP, the TIS plug-gw is
fine for apps like irc, and e-mail requires no proxies.

Now, I want to make the use of RFC 1918 space REQUIRED --
that is, it is official company policy NOT to give world-
routable IP addresses to non-ISPs.  However, I know there will be
the demand for apps that require real IPs.  (Any success
story with things like 'udprelay'?  Expensive Network
Address Translators are out of the question.)

For these, I want to assign a small pool of real IPs,
dynamically assigned from a free pool.  This is much like
how dynamic IPs are assigned to dialup PPP users, except
in this case, I'm assigning larger chunks, like /28's
to /26's.  Assume that my internal routers can handle
the routing updates for these via OSPF.  The main problem
I foresee is the client-end software, mostly Windows 3.1
(Trumpet Winsock), Windows for Workgroups, and Windows 95
clients, which AFAIK can only assign one IP per interface.

Ideally, I want these systems to respond to both the 192.168.0.x
addresses for internal purposes and Intranets, and the
203.176.x.x (my APNIC-assigned networks) for the
apps that want real IP, at the same time.  If not,
at least a convenient way to switch between the two sets
of IPs, since the router can have multiple IPs on the
same Ethernet interface and server as gateway between the
two.  When the interface IP changes, the default router
should change, too.

Any comments or suggestions?  I think the first hurdle
to overcome is making end-user systems respond to more
than one IP -- I'd appreciate any clues on how to do it,
if possible.  After that, I would suppose a DHCP server
on the network or router can assign the real IPs.

Anyone doing this in the real world?  My available
tools are Cisco routers, and Linux and FreeBSD systems.

[Posted to comp.security.firewalls and comp.protocols.tcp-ip.
I want to follow the "spirit of the law" when it comes to
conserving IP allocations;  I'm currently at /20, but
want to stop at /19.  Posted to inet-access@earth.com,
freebsd-isp@freebsd.org, and linuxisp@lightning.com to
see if other ISPs (especially with my platforms) are doing, or
are contemplating it]

Thanks!

--
miguel a.l. paraz <map@iphil.net>        iphil communications, makati city,