Date:      Fri, 30 Jul 1999 20:27:36 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Norm Jacobowitz <normj@aa.net>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cooperative Funding of Development

I personally am concerned about this approach, because I see in it
some serious potential for abuse.

Suppose Software Company A and Software Company B are competitors
in the market for Product X, but only Software Company B produces
Product Y. Software Company A comes up with a brilliant idea: why
not put a "bounty" on the development of an open source copy of
Product Y? Company B, which may have spent years developing the
concept behind Product Y and building a market for it, suddenly
has the legs kicked out from under it.

I could see this as a nasty anticompetitive tactic. Even
Microsoft might use it.

--Brett Glass