Date:      Sat, 12 Apr 1997 21:56:10 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        spork <spork@super-g.com>
Cc:        "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <sysop@mixcom.com>, Vincent Poy <vince@mail.MCESTATE.COM>, isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: TS Holy War (was Re: Some advice needed.)

> But 200 customers is not an ISP, that's a hobby ;)

You're clearly not very familiar with the rural ISP market.  200 is
actually pretty good when you're trying to connect up folks in Podunk,
Iowa. :-)

Also, there seems to be a new phenomenon I've noticed more and more in
the ISP market - ISPs which stay deliberately small, more sort of
"internet access clubs" than anything else.  They get to around
200-300 people and then *refuse* any new people, chosing instead to
remain a small and manageable size.  For some operators, all they want
is a small community of users which generate enough revenue to keep
the business going and pay the upstream provider's bills.  More than
that is only a hassle, and so they avoid it.

In any case, I certainly take your point about the *general* merits
of splitting things up, I simply wanted to also make the point that
it's not always necessary and can, in fact, be more of a detriment
to your operations if you don't actually need that much horsepower.

						Jordan