Date:      08 Aug 2002 23:27:05 +0300
From:      Ville =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Skytt=E4?= <scop@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Marc Fonvieille <blackend@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org, Szilveszter Adam <sziszi@bsd.hu>
Subject:   Re: Linking to handbook

On Thu, 2002-08-08 at 23:05, Marc Fonvieille wrote:

> > what's the official/correct/recommended way of linking to the Handbook
> > from web, under <http://www.FreeBSD.org/>:
> >=20
> > 1) /handbook/
>=20
> Old link, wosh@ "re-added" it through mod_perl, it's really
> user-friendly but it's not good to use it nowadays :)
>=20
> > 2) /doc/handbook/
>=20
> Works, after a talk with some committers, we chose to avoid it.
> I used it to correct links in some docs, however I will avoid it in
> future even if it's an easy one.
>=20
> > 3) /doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/
>=20
> The chosen one :)
>=20
> That one is interesting cause if you want the same doc in another
> language (if the doc is available) you just have to ajust the "locale"
> name.

Thanks, I'll use this one.

Hmm, wouldn't it be neat if 1) or 2) then would detect the browser's
locale and redirect to the "correct" locale version (this might already
be the case, haven't checked).  This could then be the recommended way
if a specific locale isn't important; one could always request
explicitly using 3).

Of course, the redirector would have to know which versions are
available.

Is this documented somewhere BTW...?

--=20
\/ille Skytt=E4