Date:      Wed, 6 Feb 2002 23:48:27 -0600
From:      "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1013492908.5c89ec@mired.org>
To:        Justin White <just6979@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Historical /usr/local

Justin White <just6979@yahoo.com> types:
> On Wednesday, February 6, 2002, at 11:48 , Mike Meyer wrote:
> > I claim that this puts ports in the /usr
> > category, but that's a different flame war.
> the ports "collection" could be considered part of the base. but the
> "ports collection" just consists of the makefiles, pkg* info, and the
> patches. the ported apps themselves would considered third-party IMO
> (for the most part, although if a local patch breaks something, that
> would be a freebsd help thing.)

The last bit is the critical one - if a ported application breaks, you
don't contact the application developers, you contact the port
maintainer. Those two may be the same person, but they may not. I even
send patches to port maintainers. Not only can they add the patch to
the port so it's fixed in FreeBSD, they probably have an existing
working relationship with the developer, and are thus more likely to
get the patch into the next release.

	<mike