Date:      Wed, 24 May 2000 02:59:07 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Robert Swindells <swindellsr@genrad.co.uk>
To:        glewis@trc.adelaide.edu.au
Cc:        rcf@ox.com, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Patchset 8 fonts

>> FONTS:
>> The initial font.properties file is unusable. I converted
>> to using the one supplied from Robert Swindells
>> (since it was handy) and everything looks much better,
>> perhaps his should be the default?
>>
>> The 'Blackdown-like' one could be supplied but marked as such.
>>
>> What is the issue with using Robert's that caused the
>> patchset to switch to blackdown in patchset 6?

>There were two things here:

>(a) The code was merged with that in the Java porting team's CVS
>    repository.  They were using the current font.properties.

The current font.properties uses the Lucida fonts that are supplied
with the JDK source as the preferred fonts. I'm sure they look great
if you have a TrueType capable X server but the fallback font is
Courier which looks ugly in menus.

>(b) Robert's font.properties doesn't work for me (XFree86 3.3.3.1), so
>    I was unsure that it was working for others.  Are the URW fonts
>    standard with later versions of XFree86 or do they need to be
>    installed separately?

The URW fonts need to be installed separately.

I guess they ought to be made into a port.

>Can you please define "unusable" in terms of the current fonts?  They
>should be no more unusable than those in the Blackdown port which can
>be run under emulation.

Blackdown looks just as ugly if you don't have TrueType support.

Robert