Date:      Fri, 14 Oct 2005 20:12:39 +0200
From:      Kurt Jaeger <lists@complx.LF.net>
To:        Danial Thom <danial_thom@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org, Drew Linsalata <drew@gothambus.com>
Subject:   Re: Multiport NICs - VLAN and Polling Support?

Hi!

> polling is almost never a performance advantage
> for ethernet, as virtually all modern controllers
> have some sort of interrupt moderation built-in.

We had the case on fbsd 5.4p7 with SMP where bge drivers produced
much slower throughput if we did not use polling. We measured using
ttcp and the difference was from 2-3Mbyte/sec to 11 Mbyte/sec.

Yes, it used more CPU, but for that increase in throughput, it
was worth the expense.

So it looks a bit strange from my part of the world to.

--
MfG/Best regards, Kurt Jaeger                                  15 years to go !
LF.net GmbH        fon +49 711 90074-23  pi@LF.net