Date:      Sat, 09 Oct 1999 01:05:05 +0100
From:      Ian J Hart <ianjhart@freeloader.freeserve.co.uk>
To:        "stable@freebsd.org" <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Roasting Newbies

Thought for the day: From little Newbies do mighty Gurus grow.

Some positive stuff on the list for a change; about time. What I cannot
understand is why anyone is suprised that stable recieves _inappropriate_
mail. If you track stable you are _REQUIRED_  to subscribe to _THIS_
mailing list. (Yes I am shouting, sorry). My understanding of human
nature says this is where any questions are going to get posted. Perhaps
something (less dry) in the subscription acknowledgement might help.

Justin  Wolf is right on track. Ask yourself, why is Linux getting such a
lot of press? It's reached critical mass in terms of number of users,
thats why. FreeBSD can be the best O/S ever, but if people (aka. Newbies)
don't use it, it may not survive.

If you/we are going to provide basic help for newbies (myself included),
it needs to be friendlier than man. HTML or even info would be better
(IMHO). It might also be worth aliasing "help". Before you all run away
screaming, I'm suggesting that a level of indirection is useful. This
week help might mean man newbie. Next week it could mean info newbie, or
whatever. Keeping the user inferface the same is _a_good_thing_.

A Friday night Saturday morning ian j hart.