Date:      Sat, 9 Oct 1999 11:31:31 +0200
From:      Lutz Albers <lutz@muc.de>
To:        Eric Hedstrom <erich@peregrine.com>, Tom Embt <tom@embt.com>
Cc:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: disk partitions

If memory serves me right, Eric Hedstrom said on 08.10.99, 10:03 -0700:

> Tom Embt wrote:
>> I've noticed the BSL documentation claims to be able to boot from
>> extended partitions if the OS supports it.  Does anyone know if this
>> means Windows can indeed be tricked into doing this?  If not, I must
>> wonder what OS's _do_ support such a thing.  I don't have the $$ to get
>> a full version of it to play with.
>
> Linux, os/2, and windows NT will boot off extended partitions, for what
> it's worth.

Are you sure about NT ? If memory serves me right at least the first stages
of a NT boot (ntdetect.com, ntldr and boot.ini) must be on primary
partition. NT itself can reside on an extended partition.

--
Lutz Albers, lutz@muc.de, pgp key available from <http://www.pgp.net>;
Do not take life too seriously, you will never get out of it alive.