Date:      Mon, 22 Sep 1997 06:38:10 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Thomas Arnold <tom@inna.net>
To:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   This monitor discussion

I'm running two of the Hitachi 4119 monitors under FreeBSD.  These are the
surplus Sun3 monitors you can find for about $50.00.  Running 1024x768
under Xfree86 3.3.  They'll do 1152x900 but I never could do it with Xfree
and the picture wasn't Wonderfull anyhow.

My first offer is if anyone wants my modelines and config hints feel free
to ask.  It was damned easy when I installed Xfree86 3.3 to make them work
and I was able to finally ditch AccelX v1.3 that I just hadn't felt like
buying the upgrade for.

My question is, has anyone run two monitors under FreeBSD?  I dont mean
two monitors under X.  I'd love to do THAT but...

I dont get Console mode anymore of course.  These monitors just can't
syncup to it.  If we had something like the Linux SVGA drivers it could be
done but after looking at the code I can understand why people cringe when
asked about it.

I'm thinking of putting an old Hercules card and a mono monitor on these
machines so I can have console mode again.  Any hints on this would be
appreciated.   Dont wanna take my machines down until I'm sure of what I'm
gonna do to'em.

Thanks!

 - Tom Arnold -       And Lycius' arms were empty of delight,           -
 - SysAdmin   -       As were his limbs of life, from that same night.  -
 - TBI, Ltd   -       On the high couch he lay!--his friends came round--
 -------------------- Supported him--no pulse, or breath they found,    -
 - Keats, Lamia II :  And, in its marriage robe, the heavy body wound.  -