Date:      Wed, 03 Dec 2003 08:03:12 -0600
From:      Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
To:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: uptime 4.0

Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg wrote:

>  Todays internet is to hostile for systems that isnt frequently and
> regularly patched and maintained.

Just curious, but, has anyone ever heard of a firewall?  I typically
don't let my machines be accessed from the internet, and I don't run
services on an box that isn't needed.   I'm just saying that there are
levels of security - any machine touching the net (we all agree here)
should have the latest patches and updates, without a doubt.  What about
a box that is internal, that doesn't allow local user logins, and/or
runs a minimal amount of services (say, httpd and sshd)?  Of course,
those tools should be patched, and why not do the others too - but no
reboot is needed for a lot of patches.

I just think that "large uptime = bad admin" is a pretty shallow and
close minded way to stereotype people based on how long a machine has
been powered on without a reboot.  Nobody said "1200 days without a
security patch! woohoo!"..

Anyway,  this thread should probably move to -chat..

Eric

All generalizations are false, including this one.