Date:      Mon, 18 Nov 2002 17:48:49 -0800 (PST)
From:      twig les <twigles@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, mike@ascendency.net
Subject:   RE: Shared object "libmysqlclient.so.10" not found

# dmesg -a
<snip>
sendmail
/usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1:
Shared object "libmysqlclient.so.10" not found

Sendmail works fine (the fact that you're reading this
is proof)
after I:

==================================
I don't know why Sendmail would fail from this but
I'll bet that if you try to use your mysql client
you'll get a nasty surprise.
==================================

#cd /etc/mail
#make start

I think...hrm...missing library.  So I do:

#ldconfig -r
<snip>
84:-lmysqlclient.10 =>
/usr/local/lib/mysql/libmysqlclient.so.10

so the library is there, but it seems it's not seeing
it at startup.

==================================
I've had this happen a few times.  Basically my lib
wasn't in my PATH.  Try doing a "echo $PATH" and see
if BSD will find it by default.  The quickest remedy
for this was to copy the lib to a place that BSD
*will* see it.
==================================

I've done a pretty extensive google search and I've
found a few
occurances of this.  There are only two types of
replies: nothing, or
the poster is told to check /etc/ld.so.conf and add
the location of
the lib to that file.

Unfortunately, I don't have a /etd/ld.so.conf and
creating it does
nothing.  I only have /var/run/ld.so.hints and that
appears to be a
binary.

Can anyone help me fix this?

We try and leave that funny ld.so.conf stuff to the
Linux kids. ;-)

=====