Date:      Wed, 19 Jun 1996 16:16:46 +1000 (EST)
From:      "Daniel O'Callaghan" <danny@lynx.its.unimelb.edu.au>
To:        Jim Dixon <jdd@vbc.net>
Cc:        Chris Watson <scanner@webspan.net>, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BGP on a cisco 2500 series

On Wed, 19 Jun 1996, Jim Dixon wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Jun 1996, Chris Watson wrote:
>
> > I saw this topic discussed briefly on one of the lists.
> > I didnt pay much attention till now. My boss wants to go multihomed and
> > run BGP. We have a 2501 cisco router, and i'm pretty confident theres no
> > way on gods green earth we can do it on a 2501. both serials are used.
> > And i dont think it has the ability to hold a full routing table?
>
> I think that a full routing table takes about 6 MB these days.  The
> Cisco 2501 comes with 2 MB and you can add 16 MB for something like $300
> if you don't buy the SIMM from Cisco.  Use one Cisco to handle one feed
> and the other Cisco to handle the other feed.  If you get a lot of route
> flaps, increase the dampening.

That's interesting.  Telstra Internet in Australia is suggesting a 64MB
router for full BGP4 peering with them.  Now I don't know much (anything)
about how routes are stored in a router's RAM, but 34,000 routes x 32
bytes (net, mask, gw, status, ASN, etc)  gives about 1 MB of data.
I'm quite prepared to be out by a factor of 5 or even 10, but why would
Telstra be suggesting a 64MB router for their peers?
(see http://www.telstra.net/np.html)

The fact that they are attempting to charge US$1600 per month for peering
with them suggests that they don't want peers, but could the 64 MB
requirement be an additional attempt to dissuade peering?

Danny