Date:      Sat, 09 Oct 1999 13:28:48 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Will Andrews <andrews@TECHNOLOGIST.COM>
To:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@scc.nl>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: merging current's jail functionality to stable

> To approach this from a different angle: How long will 3.x be -stable
> and can we afford to wait that long for jail to be a -stable feature?

Despite my personal fervor for jail() to be committed to -STABLE (I know
Jacques has been working on the backport for awhile), I think it's simply a
matter of deciding whether or not the commit would meet the agenda of -STABLE.

Since -STABLE must have binary compatability in order to support third-party
vendors' binary programs (which were compiled with what is the current suser
function), we cannot risk changing the suser() syscall and causing breaks in
such vendors' programs.

People who really want jail() on their -STABLE machines can, IMO, simply take
Jacques' patch and patch it themselves (of course, unless they have the exact
same release he's got, they're gonna have rejects all over the place ;). And
also, of course, their work would get overwritten when/if they cvsup, but that's
their own damn problem. ;)

So, I say, leave it out of -STABLE until 4.0-CURRENT becomes -STABLE (probably
February-March 2000?). Vendors have plenty of time until then to reimplement
their suser()-dependent features.

--
Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>