Date:      Tue, 4 Apr 2000 00:23:17 -0500 (CDT)
From:      rmtodd@servalan.servalan.com (Richard Todd)
To:        randy@psg.com
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 3.4-stable to 4.0-stable wedge

Randy Bush writes:

>i have done a number of 3.4 to 4.0 upgrades, but this one has started to go
>sour.  apologies for bothering folk, but this machine is remote and so i am
>worried about screwing it up.

>i did the cvsup to 4.0-stable this afternoon (PDT).

>i did a buildworld and

>    cd /usr/src
>    <see notes below>				[**]
>    make buildworld
>    cd sbin/mknod
>    make install
>    cd sys/modules
>    make install
>    <follow directions to build/install a kernel>

>then first oopsie

>    sh /usr/src/sys/conf/newvers.sh FOO
[...]
>so i checked the config

>    foo:/sys/i386/conf# config FOO
>    config: line 26: Unknown machine type
>    config: line 26: syntax error
[....]
>looked like the old 3.4 vs 4.0 config mismatch, so i tried

>    foo:/usr/src# cd /usr/src/usr.sbin/config/
>    foo:/usr/src/usr.sbin/config# make install
>    install -c -s -o root -g wheel -m 555   config /usr/sbin
>    install -c -o root -g wheel -m 444 config.8.gz  /usr/share/man/man8

>and then

>    foo:/usr/src/usr.sbin/config# cd /sys/i386/conf/
>    foo:/sys/i386/conf# config FOO
>    /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libc.so.4" not found

>at this point it is time to stop before i really damage something.

What I did (when doing upgrades from 3.x to 4.0 recently) was before the
buildworld, without any obj tree present, I cd'ed to /usr/src/usr.sbin/config
and did a make; make install; make clean there.  Without an obj tree present,
config will build against the 3.x libraries.
against the 3.x libraries.