Date:      Sat, 4 Jul 1998 01:44:15 -0400
From:      "Stuart Krivis" <stuart@krivis.com>
To:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Advocates, speak up!  (re: just something to say)

On 3 Jul 98, at 21:59, Wes Peters wrote:

> Frank Pawlak called me yesterday to chat about what is happening, and what
> isn't, in FreeBSD-Advocacy.  As we talked, we decided success stories like
> the above are *exactly* what we need to convince business people (i.e.
> "suits") that FreeBSD is a suitable choice for *their* business.
>
> Managers may not be the smartest people in the world -- if they were,
> they'd be kernel VM developers -- but they are extremely risk averse. In
> other words, they don't want to stick their necks out.  In order for them
> to say yes to using FreeBSD, they want to see two things:
>
> 1) A business case.  How will using FreeBSD improve their bottom line,
>    versus say NT or Linux on a server, or Linux, VxWorks, QNX, LynxOS,
>    etc. in an embedded system?
>
> 2) A success story (or 20).  They want to make sure they're NOT breaking
>    new ground; that is "risk taking," which is severely punished in most
>    (US, at least) companies.

I see the case as more "NT vs. unix." :-) They're very different mindsets.

FreeBSD, Linux, Solaris x86, SCO, BSDI, Banyan - they're all kindred. They all
allow you to work the way _you_ want to work. NT really does force you to
work the way that MS has decided you will work.

--

Stuart Krivis     stuart@krivis.com
[Team APK]