Date:      Wed, 10 Jun 1998 19:31:21 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PnP BIOS

In message <199806102233.PAA00784@dingo.cdrom.com> Mike Smith writes:
: The $PnP cookie isn't actually very useful by itself.

It just tells you where to call to get the BIOS' attention, nothing
important or useful there :-)...

: Jonathan's 16-bit protected-mode call stuff actually handles the PnP
: BIOS quite well - I have some pretty trivial code here that I have been
: using for a while now that uses it.

Jonathan sent me some private mail telling me this as well...

: Just of curiosity, what information do you want that's not available
: from the table structure?  Most systems that implement SMB/DMI 2.0 also
: have the table-based interface (because this is what they want to use
: with NT).
:
: You can do all the table-based stuff with /dev/mem, obviously enough.

How do you think I found out that I don't have a table :-).  The
machine that I have was built BEFORE the 2.1 spec was released which
is the first spec to define the table (at least according to the copy
I grabbed from the Pheonix web site).

I'm looking at two or three projects with the BIOS stuff.  One is to
have a program similar to one that exists on some (all?) windows boxes
that will tell me the resources that my machine uses.  One is to use
this information to "dig" for undocumented features of the motherboard
that I'm using.  And one is to get the APM device mappings so that I
can try to control the Libretto a little better.  Not all of these are
SMB, per se, but they are kind of cool side projects that I'd like to
play with given some time.

Warner

P.S.  Is dingo still around?