Date:      Mon, 23 Oct 1995 19:22:42 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        sysseh@devetir.qld.gov.au (Stephen Hocking)
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Functional differences between various 486 CPUs

Stephen Hocking stands accused of saying:

> I've just laid hands on a cheap 33Mhz 486 motherboard to replace my 25MHz
> 386sx/387sx setup (yeah, well educating a kid, marriage problems & a mortgage
> tend to drain the supply of ready cash) and am hunting around for a CPU to put
> in it. So far I've seen the following -
>
> Clock	Manu.	Chip	Price (Oz dollars, don't panic!)
> 66MHz	IBM	486	$93

This is a Cyrix part; it should cost you $73 (Westan, 23% s/t, available in
bot 5 and 3.45V flavours.  You want the "486 DX2/66")

> 66MHz	Intel	486	$199

Don't bother.

> 100MHz	IBM	486	$145

Again a Cyrix part, not available in 5V.

Your best bet for a 5V-only motherboard is possibly the 80MHz Cyrix part, at
$80. (Westan, 23% s/t, "486 DX2/80")

> Which ones are 5v and 3.5v, which 3.5v parts have the onboard regulator to
> allow using them in old motherboards like mine, and what differences are there
> in regard to cache & onboard maths copro presence?

I've no specific details on the cachefulness or otherwise of the Cyrix parts;
all I can say is that they seem to work perfectly well. 8)

> I'm lusting after one of the 100Mhz parts, but accept giving budget that I'll
> probably end up getting the 66MHz IBM unit iff it'll go in my 486 m'board and
> it has a math-copro. For the heat sensitive units, my case has a 15cm fan
> blowing over the motherboard. It's noisy enough and shifts a fair bit of air.

The Cyrix parts are all fanless, as are the Intel DX4/100's.

> 	Stephen

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" -Terry Lambert  UNIX: live FreeBSD or die! [[