Date:      Wed, 10 Jun 1998 18:25:59 -0700
From:      Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
To:        dyson@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, core@FreeBSD.ORG, cgd@netbsd.org, ross@netbsd.org, core@netbsd.org
Subject:   Re: Copyright infringement in FreeBSD/alpha

On Wed, 10 Jun 1998 20:15:04 -0500 (EST)
 "John S. Dyson" <dyson@freebsd.org> wrote:

 > I guess the good news is that our codebases are diverging?!?!?!?
 > In order to protect FreeBSD from NetBSD's litigious nature, it
 > seems that is best?  That is sad :-(.  I suspect that due to
 > the lack of cooperation, or cooperative attitude from NetBSD, that
 > FreeBSD will eventually move forward with a less encumbered Alpha
 > codebase, pushing the technology.  We can either work together,
 > or make each other enemies.  I wonder how long sniping from
 > NetBSD to FreeBSD will continue?

What planet are you on, John?  NetBSD's code is NO MORE ENCUMBERED than
FreeBSD's.  The fact that we bitched about a copyright notice botch DOES
NOT MEAN that NetBSD's code is somehow "more encumbered".

I suspect if I removed your copyright notice from the async i/o stuff
you wrote, put my own at the top, and then committed it to the NetBSD
source tree, you'd be a bit annoyed, too.

NOW...

Doug - I'm sorry that I came off rather harshly.  I could have, and should
have, reacted differently.  The notice botch was one of many (unrelated)
straws that broke the camel's back.  That's not really an excuse for my
behavior, but please accept my apology.

Moffett Field, CA 94035                             Pager: +1 650 428 6939