Date:      Wed, 24 Jan 1996 04:13:40 +0000
From:      mark@linus.demon.co.uk (Mark Valentine)
To:        kelly@fsl.noaa.gov (Sean Kelly), akyol@wireless.Stanford.EDU
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: What printed documentation do we need?

> From: kelly@fsl.noaa.gov (Sean Kelly)
> Date: Tue 23 Jan, 1996
> Subject: Re: What printed documentation do we need?

> A lot of people think it's nice to have all the man pages printed
> nicely and bound together.  I'd be one of them if I had money up the
> wazoo, which I don't.
>
> However, I do recommend at least one of the books from the series:
>
>    4.4BSD System Manager's Manual
>
> and if you're feeling particularly rich, then get these other two:
>
>    4.4BSD User's Supplementary Documents
>    4.4BSD Programmer's Supplementary Documents
>
> You'll find a lot more papers/articles than man pages in these.

Seconded.  These are precisely the three I returned home from the bookshop
with yesterday.  I find that I'm more likely to read the bound versions than
try to browse via a ghostview window on an undersized monitor, and finally
having my own copy of all those Bell Labs papers is wonderful!  These books
give me a chance to put my feet up and re-discover a lot of what I've missed
out on or forgotten over the years, and give me a deeper understanding of
the way 4.4BSD was intended to be.

There's a definite benefit from just going through the manuals sequentially
at least once every few years, and it's way too long since I did that.  I'll
probably pick up the URM and PRM soon too, partly to make that easier, and
partly as a reference to help differentiate the value added parts of FreeBSD
(that knowledge is useful for software portability, to know which facilities
you can expect across a selection of 4.4BSD-derived systems, and so on).

		Mark.