Date:      Wed, 03 Dec 2003 15:36:35 +0100
From:      Alex de Kruijff <freebsd@akruijff.dds.nl>
To:        Vulpes Velox <kitbsdlists@HotPOP.com>
Cc:        Milo Hyson <milo@cyberlifelabs.com>
Subject:   Re: what's unix and what's not

On Wed, Nov 26, 2003 at 02:36:43AM -0600, Vulpes Velox wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 18:32:21 -0800
> Milo Hyson <milo@cyberlifelabs.com> wrote:
>
> > It is my understanding that the Linux kernel was built from scratch. It
> > may be patterned after UNIX, but it wasn't based on it. BSD, on the
> > other hand, is derived (indirectly) from the original work by Ritchie
> > and Thompson. Of course, I may be on crack....
>
> Yeah, more or less... it was mainly created as a minix clone, iirc.

>From the data i have Minux was based on Unix v7 somewere in the mid 80
because a profferor wasn't allowed to use Unix as an example to its
students.

Even if the code wasn't simply copied then it would still be based on
apperence to Unix and have has serveral times where it imported BSD
code. So way not call it Unix? It proberbly has a legal argument.

I have a jpg (900K) and a psd (12M) file with every UNIX OS for those
who like to have this.
--
Alex

P.S. Please CC me.