Date:      Sat, 09 Oct 1999 14:16:58 -0500
From:      Jacques Vidrine <n@nectar.com>
To:        Will Andrews <andrews@TECHNOLOGIST.COM>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: merging current's jail functionality to stable

On 9 October 1999 at 13:28, Will Andrews <andrews@TECHNOLOGIST.COM> wrote:
[snip]
> Since -STABLE must have binary compatability in order to support third-party
> vendors' binary programs (which were compiled with what is the current suser
> function), we cannot risk changing the suser() syscall and causing breaks in
> such vendors' programs.

I think some points are being missed.  suser is not a syscall.  It is a
kernel interface, used only in the kernel.  Therefore, the only possible
vendor binaries that can be affected are kernel loadable modules (KLDs).
Not applications.

I don't know of any vendor KLDs, but that doesn't mean there aren't any.

> People who really want jail() on their -STABLE machines can, IMO,
> simply take Jacques' patch and patch it themselves (of course,
> unless they have the exact same release he's got, they're gonna have
> rejects all over the place ;). And also, of course, their work would
> get overwritten when/if they cvsup, but that's their own damn
> problem. ;)

If those folks that privately mailed me and asked that this work be
done would stand up now, that would be nice :-)

> So, I say, leave it out of -STABLE until 4.0-CURRENT becomes -STABLE
> (probably February-March 2000?). Vendors have plenty of time until
> then to reimplement their suser()-dependent features.

Again, what vendors? :-)

From the sounds of things, it would be easier for some to swallow if I
came up with a different set of patches that don't change the
interface of suser, and maintain two suser implementations for another
5 or 6 months --- although I don't know that we can say for sure when
4.0 will become -STABLE.

Jacques Vidrine / n@nectar.com / nectar@FreeBSD.org