Date:      Mon, 26 Mar 2001 07:48:53 -0500
From:      Neill Robins <freebsd@nc.rr.com>
To:        "Dan Langille" <dan@langille.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Oh no! They killed Beastie!

Sunday, March 25, 2001, 11:18:23 PM, Dan Langille wrote:
DL> On 25 Mar 2001, at 23:08, Neill Robins wrote:
>> Sunday, March 25, 2001, 10:24:40 PM, Dan Langille wrote:

>> DL> Pre-Xena?  Please!  Xena was a spin-off of Hercules....
>> DL> [yes, both series were/are filmed in NZ and Lucy Lawless is NZ-born]
>>
>> Whoa, I never admitted that I actually watched those shows! :) I thought
>> they was pure crap for what little time I had to watch television!

DL> Heh, I liked watching them when I was in USA on holidays...

My roommate used to watch it fairly often, then Xena, for obvious
reasons.

>> Where in NZ, by the way?

DL> The filming for Hercules and Xena was done in Auckland.  Someone just
DL> told me it was just west of Auckland, on the coast.

Well, it looks absolutely beautiful from the pictures I've seen,
mostly on the internet. I actually have a friend in Sydney who said
that if I could ever make it out, she would take me to NZ touring, and
I believe Auckland was one of the main points of interest.

DL> The special effects (physical and digital) were by Weta
DL> <http://www.wetafx.co.nz/WetaLtd-Index.html>.  The are the same
DL> people who worked on The Frightners and Heavenly Creatures.  Weta
DL> are heavily involved in Lord of The Rings.  Peter Jackson is the director
DL> and all of the three films were shot in New Zealand.  You've seen the
DL> LOTR trailer?  That's NZ scenery in the background, perhaps digitally
DL> enhance, I don't know.  At present, they are post production and the
DL> first film will be released December 2001.  With luck, the premiere will
DL> be in Wellington.  I hope so.

Yeah, I have seen the trailer when I saw "Crouching Tiger, Hidden
Dragon" and it looks like it may be good (compared to some of the
crap they churn out nowadays). And speaking of LOTR, here is a
humourous clip:
http://modernhumorist.com/mh/0101/rings/lotrlow.mov for 160x
http://modernhumorist.com/mh/0101/rings/lotrhigh.mov for 240x
If you have the time to download one, it is pretty good, although it
may be slow.

Have a good one.

-Neill
freebsd@nc.rr.com