Date:      06 Oct 1998 12:43:37 -0400
From:      Chris Shenton <chris@shenton.org>
To:        Graeme Tait <U@webcom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to share accounts between mail/pop and web servers?

Graeme Tait <U@webcom.com> writes:

> Why not duplicate the box and split the users across boxes? That way if
> one box goes down, only half your users suffer. It's scalable, as for
> yet more users you just add another box, and you can load-balance the
> boxes easily for good utilization by allocating users appropriately.
> Configuration is the same from box to box, and having hardware spares is
> easy. The only thing that might connect the boxes is having them do
> secondary DNS for each other.

Cuz sendmail and web stuff are big applications. I don't think their
size and resource consumption is terribly related to the number of
users (my customers, not outsiders hitting the web).

But it would be a good idea for me to mirror the web stuff on the mail
server and the mail stuff on the web server just in case.

But frankly: I installed FreeBSD-2.1.5 two years ago and it's only
gone down once (unplanned) that I'm aware of. Not too shabby, and one
of the best advertisements I know of for FreeBSD versus other
platforms.