Date:      Mon, 22 Sep 1997 15:49:22 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Gary D. Margiotta" <gary@tbe.net>
To:        Mark Mayo <mark@quickweb.com>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: My monitor's got the Shakes...

> > In 17", I've always been partial to the Sony monitors.  I also have a
> > Panasonic PanaSync5 which has always delivered fine performance, as
> > has my "Impression 7" (from which manufacturer is unclear from looking
> > at the outer case and I've long since forgotten :).
>
> I heard Hitachi has a new tube and are selling 19" (18" viewable)
> monitors for about the same price as a decent 17". Anybody had a chance
> to try one yet? Seems promising! I think Optiquest(Viewsonic) is using
> the Hitachi tube now too.
>
> -Mark

I have come across a similar problem with a MAG.  My partner had one for
about 3 years also, then sold it to someone I know.  About two months
later, I get a call from the guy we sold it to.  The monitor decided to
not turn on one day, and all it did was blink its lights on the front of
it, and make a weird 'clicking' noise, kinda like the ticking of a clock.
We sent it to MAG, and they fixed it, and all was happy.  THen two weeks
later, I get a call from the guy again.  It happened again, and needless
to say, he was quite perturbed.  We called MAG and after quite a bit of
complaining, got them to fix it again.  We had to buy him a new one, and
we kept the one that came back.  Ever since then, the resolution has been
awful and fuzzy and just never looked the same.  The one we sent back was
a DX-15F.

Then another friend owned a DX-17F, and that one fried also.  Had to send
that one back, but haven't heard anything lately.  Have to say I will
probably never buy another one after their recent track record.

We got Viewsonic's as replacements, and I must say they are the nicest
monitors I have worked on so far.  I have the Optiquest V775 17", and my
partner got the PT810 21".  Beautiful resolution, and i can do 1280X1024
no problem, he is in 1600X1280.

Just my $.02  ;)

-Gary Margiotta				Voice:	(973) 835-9696
TBE Internet Services			Fax:	(973) 256-4605
http://www.tbe.net			E-Mail:	gary@tbe.net