Date:      Wed, 12 Jun 1996 11:32:38 +1200 (NZST)
From:      Phillip Hardy <phillip@sis.gen.nz>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ethernets are supposed to work, right?

On Mon, 10 Jun 1996, Joe Greco wrote:

> > are standard ethernet cards -- intel etherpros, SMCs etc. I must be doing
> > something wrong. Did anyone meet with some serious head-smacking when
> > configuring ethernet cards, anyone who might share a little secret here?
>
> Are you really sure that all your settings are right, and the card is
> someplace that FreeBSD is looking for it?

I have 2 NE2000's and it found my firest card without Worrys.
I edited my Kernel and now have 2 Perfectly working NE2000's..
No major hassles.

> > The machine is a genuineintel IBM PS/Valuepoint 486/dx2-50 (I can hear you
> > groaning) with 32mb and an adaptec SCSI controller with 2 units, 1GB seagate
> > drive and a sony CDROM (the local store is all out of the walnut creek CDs,
> > hence the network install). It's all quite "normal" hardware, shouldn't be
> > having any trouble at all.
>
> Anyone who thinks an IBM PS/anything is "quite normal hardware"...
> nevermind.
Personly id not Touch a PS/anything.. But yeh.. he needs a hand..

> > thanks for any input.

> Check what you're doing.  Try a regular PC.  SMC cards work fine, NE2000's
> work fine, others work fine but I generally don't use them.

Yeh.. i Tryed SMC and NE2000's had no probs...

Check your Kernel.. and try telling it Exactly where it is.. if you need
help with seting up send me some Email	at phillip@bsdnet.org

> ... Joe

Phill
---