Date:      Fri, 6 Sep 2002 09:13:51 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Harti Brandt <brandt@fokus.gmd.de>
To:        Mikhail Teterin <mi+mx@aldan.algebra.com>
Cc:        "Andrey A. Chernov" <ache@nagual.pp.ru>, Mikhail Teterin <mi+kde@aldan.algebra.com>, <i18n@FreeBSD.ORG>, Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.ORG>, <anholt@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: recap (Re: koi8-r is obsoleted by koi8-u)

On Thu, 5 Sep 2002, Mikhail Teterin wrote:

MT>Andrey suggests, the new (supposedly -- corrected) koi8-r fonts be
MT>installed there in addition to koi8-u and/or koi8-c. Although, this will
MT>be the most standard compliant, I find it wasteful of the diskspace and
MT>X-server memory, because:

Given that fonts/cyrillic is only about 1MByte and that you can control
which of the fonts get loaded with the fontpath and compared to other
bloat I see no waste here.

MT>	b) New applications should be encouraged to use the more complete
MT>	charsets such as koi8-u or koi8-c instead

The problem for me as a user is, that I don't have much influence on what
an application does. When I load a webpage, that claims to need koi8-r,
then I expect my browser to find a koi8-r font. I really don't want to
fiddle with X or browser options to get the page displayed.

RFC-1489 is not marked as obsolete, so people will countinue to use it
and, honestly, I don't see a reason to remove support even if it would be
obsoleted.

I don't see any reason to be too religious about this font matter. Make a
couple of options to the ports in question so that individual users, who
are short on disk space are able to not install one or the other font. Or
make three ports for koi8-[ruc].

harti
--
harti brandt, http://www.fokus.gmd.de/research/cc/cats/employees/hartmut.brandt/private