Date:      Wed, 21 May 1997 09:23:15 +0300
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        Guy Avraham <guya@netvision.net.il>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: problems.

Guy Avraham wrote:

> hello
>
> i had been trying to install the freebsd 2.1.0
>
> and i an facing some annoying fenomina.
>
> i chose the novice installation, followed all the help guieds and finally
>
> got 'you have successfu......press <enter> to reboot'
>
> i thought it was the end of the installation, but when rebooting
>
> the kernel loads up and i get a msg. saing "panic: canot mount root .!"
>
> "system will reboot in ..."
>
> well i tryd repartitioning the disk and reinstalling from scratch...but
>
> got the same old msg. again.
>
> well .... what should i do ?? i am almost ready to give up and install
>
> red-hat linux...
>
> my machine is :
>
> 1. intel p-100-s.
>
> 2. tryton III mother-board.
>
> 3. 16 MB of EDO ram memory.
>
> 4. SCSI (IDE based) supported cd-r.
>
> 5. HDD :
>
>         1. 850 IDE primary master.
>
>         2. 120 IDE primary slave.
>
>         3. 730 IDE secondary master.
>
> the HDD with i am tring to install upon is a 730 MB in size and it is all
>
> dedicated to the FreeBSD system. (does not have any DOS partition).
>
> if you need any more setales pls. let me know and i will be more that
>
> happy to give it to you.
>
> pls. tell me what to do, since i had waisted a full night and a lot of
>
> internet hours searching the FAQ with no success.
>
> thanks a lot.
>
> Madg.
2.1.0 is ancient, and I think this trick won't work on it. Had you
installed 2.1.5 or later the solution would have been to give
1:wd(2,a)/kernel

at the Boot: prompt. You can try this, but I think it won't work on
2.1.0. The best thing would be (IMHO) to install a newer version. If
that's impossible, reinstall and put the root partition (which can be
pretty small - ~30MB is more than enough) on the first hard disk.

Nadav