Date:      Sun, 07 Jun 1998 09:24:06 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Matthew Hunt <mph@pobox.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Irritating cpp feature

> On Sun, Jun 07, 1998 at 12:53:48AM -0700, Mike Smith wrote:
>
> > #if 0
> > This is pointless text with one of ' in it.
> > #endif
> [...]
> > The code obviously builds OK on other gcc-wielding platforms; is there
> > something funny about our preprocessor?
>
> I think there is something correct about our preprocessor.  I Don't
> Have The Standard In Front Of Me (TM) but I think code that is
> #ifdef'ed out must still be syntactically correct, so the sample that
> you provided above is incorrect code.  If somebody is using #ifdef
> around English text, that is wrong.
>
> Anybody with the Standard care to verify?  The only one I have is
> the reprint of the Library portion of the Standard in Plauger's book.

Whilst I respsect our desire to be correct, my chances of convincing
the "owners" of this code to DTRT are almost vanishingly small,
especially since much of the offending code comes from third parties.

Given that the product builds on all of the major Unix platforms as
well as Win32 without this problem, I really need a workaround. 8)