Date:      Wed, 12 Nov 1997 11:10:44 -0700 (MST)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        chris@netmonger.net (Christopher Masto)
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Pentium bug (really)

Christopher Masto writes:
> I either joined this mailing list too late or joined the wrong mailing
> lists.

You joined the wrong list.  Freebsd-isp is the list you want, 'chat' is
for subjects totally un-related to FreeBSD that 'enthusiasts' talk about
as they digress from FreeBSD related material.

However...

> am on the brink of making a rather important decision.  I am pretty
> sick of Intel, so replacing our P166s with K6s is somewhat attractive.
> Still, BSDI claims that Intel has helped them to develop a workaround
> (which they're not at liberty to explain in detail).  Even if Intel
> isn't being cooperative with the free software community, it is
> plausible that "a workaround exists" implies "someone will find it and
> publish it".

Maybe, but what performance affect does it entail?

> Of course, this is all moot if I missed the announcement that FreeBSD
> already has the same fix.  Anyway, the big question is.. does it or
> might it in the near future?

It doesn't AFAIK, and 'might' is a pretty useless word here.  It might,
but as to the chances of it happening, I have *NO* idea.  There are some
pretty smart people who hack FreeBSD, and if I were Intel I'd want to
share that information with folks as widely as possible *IF* the
work-around isn't also easily worked-around.  Since source distributions
are necessary in FreeBSD and such, if the Intel work-around can be
easily disabled, then they aren't going to publish how they work around
the bug since it wouldn't help them.

Nate