Date:      Mon, 5 Aug 2002 11:10:24 +0100
From:      Ceri Davies <ceri@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Rich Morin <rdm@cfcl.com>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: docs/41253: config(8) and/or Handbook deficiency

On Fri, Aug 02, 2002 at 09:59:51AM -0700, Rich Morin said:

Hi Rich,

> Perhaps I'm just confused.  As it happens, I DO have the sources on my
> FreeBSD machine, but I thought that (as in the case of SunOS) this was
> not really necessary to configure a new kernel.  In any case, when I
> recently built a kernel, I didn't mess about in /usr/src at all.  I
> just used the /sys/i386/conf area, as suggested by the config(8) page:

You can't build or reconfigure (though see below) a kernel without sources.

> Hence, this is what I did:
>
> 	  # cd /sys/i386/conf

/sys is a symlink to /usr/src/sys (by default).

We're not Solaris, but you can achieve somewhat similar things by making
use of sysctls and /etc/sysctl.conf, and perhaps loader flags in
/boot/loader.conf (I'm not sure where this is documented, as I can't get
to a FreeBSD machine at the moment, but it's probably the manpage for
loader).

Ceri