Date:      Tue, 4 Jun 1996 11:24:44 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        dara@alpha.kada.lt (Darius Ramanauskas)
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Again Virtual HOSTS

> Hello All,
>
> We are young ISP. I want to have few Virtual Domains. It is not a
> problem to configure our computer (I have done it already) the main
> problem is with registration.
>
> To register domain we need two NS which will have data about that
> domain (primary and secondary for examle). Right now we have just one
> computer and it runs one 'named' and are primary. So, I need  that someone
> will run secondory. It is not a problem if I will have 2 or 3 virtual
> domains, but if 20-30 or more.
>
> Is it posible to hack this with just one computer?

Of course it is POSSIBLE to do it with just one computer.  But you do
NOT want to do that!  If that one machine crashes or goes off the air,
your domains are totally dead and nonexistent.

Even having a secondary machine is not all that much better.  Network
outages, etc., all happen.  You really want to have an off-site secondary,
preferably with very little in common with your own network connection.

Find another small ISP and arrange to mutually provide secondary service
for each other.  That is the BEST solution.

... Joe

Solaria Public Access UNIX - Milwaukee, WI			   414/546-7968