Date:      Sat, 10 Aug 2002 07:09:10 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ross Lippert <ripper@eskimo.com>
To:        nik@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        anderson@centtech.com, darklogik@pittgoth.com, blackend@FreeBSD.ORG, cjuniet@entreview.com, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: docs/41106: FreeBSD Handbook lacks "Desktop Applications" chapter.

>This sounds like the sort of thing that Dan Langille's FreshPorts site
>could do, and do well.
I think moderated comments of freshports could go a long way to it.  As for
reviews/quickstart guides and so on, this could be done as links inside
the comments, or as giant comments themselves.

I think, to get at the functionality that I'd really like to see, I'd suggest
the following two things be considered (possibly added later):

1) allow the self-marking of comments by one of a discrete set of KINDs
(maybe moderator overrides the KIND):
bug
bug fix
wish list
new development
REVIEW
HOWTO
COOL TRICK
TUTORIAL
(some list like this -- these particular topic names I pulled out of my butt,
so don't take that seriously)

I think this, and perhaps some filteration on this would be very helpful for
trawlers.

I'm not sure what sort of TTL comments should have, or how they should
be removed when sufficiently dated...

2) Collect rudimentary stats on comments when in browse mode.  That is,
if I do a search on 'cd player' and I get a list of results, next to the
name for each result, it would be nice to know what the counts are of each
KIND of comment.  Again, this is for the trawler who just wants to get a
rough idea of how much use other people are making of the port.  I'm not
excited about actual rating systems, but seeing that this port has 7 HOWTO's
and 10 COOL TRICK's might make me look at it before looking at a port with
none...Even total comment count is a sign of user activity (though not the
best one).

The situation I'd like to address is the one I'm always in when I am
looking for a port to do something and typically I have only the
pkg-descr to tell me a little something and really not enough to
decide between all the options, so I think that somehow propagating
per port comment information into any browse-mode listing of ports in
very helpful.

It is nice that we do have so many options to choose from, unlike some
monocultures, but with that we needs to improve our ability to choose
among them.

-r