Date:      Fri, 17 Aug 2001 16:36:22 -0600
From:      Trevor Osatchuk <Trevor.Osatchuk@pscl.com>
To:        "'FreeBSD-Mobile@FreeBSD.ORG'" <FreeBSD-Mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Thinkpad 380d sound

I have also posted a similar message in comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc.

I cannot get the sound card to work in my Thinkpad 380d which is running
4.3-RELEASE.  I have added the following line to the kernel config file:

device pcm0 at isa? port? drq 1 irq 5 flags 0x10

From cat /dev/sndstat
pcm0: <CS4236> at io 0x530 irq 5 drq 1:0 (1p/1r channels duplex)

When I try to run kmp3 I get:

Can't open /dev/dsp because: Device is busy!

How can I find out which process is using this device?  Why is it being
grabbed up?  After I try to start up gnome I hit Ctrl+Alt+F2 to go to
another terminal.  This actually screws up gnome, but I saw this message:

esd: Esound sound daemon already running or stale UNIX socket
/root/.esd/socket
This socket already exists indiacting esd is already running.
Exiting...

Now after getting gnome up I did a ps aux | grep esd and got:

esd -nobeeps

I found a process called esd that was using the /dev/dsp device, so I
killed it.  I read a post that there was some bug in KDE, from that
post:

START POST"Installed kdelibs 2.1.2 straight from the port.

% artsdsp -v esd
name:
command line:  esd
aRts: hijacking /dev/dsp open...
error on aRts init: loading the aRts backend
"/usr/local/lib/libartscbackend.la" failed
/dev/dsp: Device busy

The problem is that __pure_virtual shows up in libartsflow.so because
it's not being linked with -lgcc.
"END POST

I don't know if that is why the esd process was hanging on to
/dev/dsp, but I thought it a good place to start.  So, I killed it and
startd kmp3.  I didn't put it in the background, so this is what I saw
on the terminal:
Ouch ... error while writing audio data: : Invalid argument
Ouch ... error while writing audio data: : Invalid argument
Ouch ... error while writing audio data: : Invalid argument
(This message repeated 100's of times until I hit ^C)
Ouch ... error while writing audio data: : Invalid argument
^C
Error: BadWindow parameter) 3
Major opcode: 61
Abort trap (core dumped)

So, it seems that killing the esd process allowed kmp3 to access the
/dev/dsp file, but it still cacked.  Does anyone know why I am having such
difficulty?

Thanks!

Trevor Osatchuk
Process Solutions Canada Ltd.
Support and Integration Analyst
(780) 452-2227 Ext. 286
trevor.osatchuk@pscl.com

Any man whose errors take ten years to correct is quite a man.
          - J. Robert Oppenheimer, speaking of Albert Einstein