Date:      Tue, 7 Mar 2000 22:07:31 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom <tom@sdf.com>
To:        lambert@cswnet.com
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Am I being spammed? Or is egroups this impolite?

On Tue, 7 Mar 2000 lambert@cswnet.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have an immediate problem wherein I am seeing a heinous number of
> sumultanious connects claiming to be from egroups.com.
>
> The IPs are in the 208.50.144, 208.48.218, and 208.49.160 Class-Cs.  I
> cannot lookup by name these connections.
>
> Is this standard practice for egroups or had somebody faked up a lot of
> DNS?
>
> This barrage has brought both my MX servers to their knees.

  EGroups sends e-mail to a mailing list sorted by domain.  They use
Qmail, so they send to one recipient per connection.  So if you have a 100
people at your domain get EGroups e-mail, in a short period of time,
EGroups will open a 100 connections to your mail server(s). Hopefully you
can handle it.  This results in a EGroups cutting a swath through the
internet every time they do a mailing.

  You should probably set your maximum connection limit to something that
your servers can handle.  Switching from Sendmail to Postfix should help.

Tom