Date:      Tue, 4 Apr 2000 12:42:17 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Kiril Mitev <kiril@ideaglobal.com>
To:        jhb@FreeBSD.ORG (John Baldwin)
Cc:        mi@kot.ne.mediaone.net, stable@FreeBSD.ORG, Doug@gorean.org
Subject:   Re: make world failed

<snip>

> > Soon, we'll  read, that one needs  to follow this mailing  lists to even
> > use  FreeBSD. This  is wrong  -- the  original poster  is not  "tracking
> > -stable", by which I mean regular  rebuilds. He merely wanted to go from
> > one release to another -- once. And did it the way he always did before,
> > after consulting the same information sources he consulted before.
>
> I think that in that situation you should probably still read -stable.
> However, the existence of UPDATING and its meaning wasn't communicated well
> to the mass population of -stable users.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I sort-of recall people screaming at the
2.2.x -> 3.0 upgrade time that the UPDATING file has no info in it ...
And those people got a harsh flaming down for "consulting a file that
is old and not maintained", yada yada yada .....

> The main reason is that UPDATING
> is mainly useful for people running -current, as -current tends to have a
> lot more bumps in the road that have to be worked around.  However, 3.x
> has also had an UPDATING file, albeit one that doesn't have much in it since
> -stable really wasn't the original intended target, so UPDATING wasn't
> completely hidden.

<snip>

--
Kiril Mitev, IT Operations Mgr, London