Date:      Thu, 7 Feb 2002 09:59:56 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matt Wilbur <matt@efs.org>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   diskless freebsd cluster

Hi all,

I just wanted to say, to the entire FreeBSD team, especially everyone
involved with pxe support, rc.diskless[1,2], mfs, and gigabit nic support,
THANKS!  You ROCK!

I just got a 16 node diskless cluster of 1.4GHz Athlons (dual 1GHz p3
server) up and running 4.5-RELEASE, and it was SO much easier than it used
to be..

The cluster has two "primary" uses, one is to do high volume number
crunching, the other is for a parallelized port of one of our
toolkits for a particular customer, who is insisting on a Scyld Linux
"beowulf".  The original plan was to port our crunching codes from FreeBSD
to Linux (sigh), but since it took about a day to build a second system
disk running FreeBSD (and a port would've taken at least a week or two),
that is far more cost effective in the short.  Hopefully I can build a
mini scyld cluster for development only and we can stick with FreeBSD..

Why diskless?  We're doing diskless because the codes we're currently
using are CPU intensive, with little file i/o, and because the lab it's
operating in has restricted access, its far easier to operate diskless for
media accounting reasons, especially if/when N goes from 16 to say,
64..or if we want to wheel the rack out of the lab and operate
"outside".  I'm getting 97% user CPU on all nodes when I hammer the system
with runs, I can live with that..  The network is 100baseT to the client
nodes, 1000baseSX server->switch.

For what it's worth, the crunching used to happen on Origin 200s.  Of two
primary codes we run, code A would take about the same time on freebsd on
 a p3-1GHz as it did on a 270MHz r12000.  Code B ran three times faster
on a p3-1GHz than on the 270MHz r12k.  Our cost savings are phenomenal
using commodity hardware and a great OS.

If anyone would find the setup/configuration of interest I can document
how I set it up and throw it up somewhere for your perusal..

again, THANK YOU!
Matt Wilbur