Date:      Tue, 04 Apr 2000 08:49:06 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Kiril Mitev <kiril@ideaglobal.com>, stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: make world failed

On 04-Apr-00 Kiril Mitev wrote:
> <snip>
>

>> > Soon, we'll  read, that one needs  to follow this mailing  lists to even
>> > use  FreeBSD. This  is wrong  -- the  original poster  is not  "tracking
>> > -stable", by which I mean regular  rebuilds. He merely wanted to go from
>> > one release to another -- once. And did it the way he always did before,
>> > after consulting the same information sources he consulted before.
>>
>> I think that in that situation you should probably still read -stable.
>> However, the existence of UPDATING and its meaning wasn't communicated well
>> to the mass population of -stable users.
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but I sort-of recall people screaming at the
> 2.2.x -> 3.0 upgrade time that the UPDATING file has no info in it ...
> And those people got a harsh flaming down for "consulting a file that
> is old and not maintained", yada yada yada .....

You recall wrong:

----------------------------
revision 1.1
date: 1998/12/15 00:24:32;  author: imp;  state: Exp;
This file contains minimal instructions for the moderately clueful to
update their systems from prior versions of FreeBSD.  It is only for
November 18, 1998 and newer systems.  If you have an older system, you
are on your own.

I'll update this from time to time, and if it shows signs of bitrot
I'll kill it.

Please get your facts straight.