Date:      Mon, 5 Aug 2002 12:17:07 +0200
From:      Marc Fonvieille <blackend@freebsd.org>
To:        Christophe Juniet <cjuniet@entreview.com>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: docs/41106: FreeBSD Handbook lacks "Desktop Applications" chapter.

On Sun, Aug 04, 2002 at 09:11:39PM +0200, Christophe Juniet wrote:
> Murray Stokely wrote:
> > [PR docs/41106]
>
> Here <http://daemon.entreview.com/~chris/desktop.html>; is the little
> piece of work I've done so far. If it's what you expected, I'll send a
> PR when it's good enough.

Very nice work.

In reading your pages I thought about many things (I don't know if it's
really important, but maybe some could be improvments):

-Check the names of packages, from a 4.6-STABLE:
pkg_add -rv linux-netscape6
pkg_add -rv AbiWord
fail.

Browser section:
-Maybe you could tell that Opera is a commercial app :) and give the
link to their website.
-What about adding a little sentence giving name of light browsers like
dillo, w3m and links...?

Productivity section:
-OpenOffice should replace StarOffice6, packages are available in many
languages etc...
-Maybe Koffice has his place in the section, as some apps like gnumeric,
gnucash...
-Maybe something about graphics apps like The Gimp for bitmaps and
sketch, sodipodi and xfig for vectors could be interesting too

Viewers, players section:
-Tell what acroread version pkg_add installs
-xpdf is a light and efficient pdf viewer too
-You could add a link to video players section of multimedia chapter and
to mp3 section in the same chapter.
-What about adding some images viewers like gqview, xzgv etc...?

Perhaps one thing is missing: the mail applications: sylpheed, evolution
etc... Nowadays people can't think about a computer without thinking
about sending mails :)

I'm sure you already thought about most of my remarks.

In fact I have only one word to say: "Continue!" :))

Good luck,
Marc