Date:      Wed, 10 Jun 1998 21:22:40 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        ulf@Alameda.net
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Upgrading 2.2.2 kernel to understand newer fxp cards ?

>For a temporary fix I want to upgrade only the fxp driver of a 2.2.2
>kernel, as the current one doesn't know the PHY and is causing problems
>with autonegotiating 10/100 etc. Any tips, caveats ? A full upgrade to
>2.2.6 is planed soon, but I need this fixed sooner.

   Unfortunately, that's not possible due to the substantial differences
that came in with Jason Thorpe's "if_media" support. You might be able
to retrofit just the part of the driver that does the PHY frobbing,
however (although you'll have to convert it back to using IFF flags).
   Good luck. :-)

-DG

David Greenman