Date:      Wed, 10 Jun 1998 21:39:48 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PnP BIOS

> In message <199806102233.PAA00784@dingo.cdrom.com> Mike Smith writes:
> : The $PnP cookie isn't actually very useful by itself.
>
> It just tells you where to call to get the BIOS' attention, nothing
> important or useful there :-)...

Er, yeah.  Forgot that bit.  (Jonathan wrapped it all in a relatively
nice thunking interface).

> : Just of curiosity, what information do you want that's not available
> : from the table structure?  Most systems that implement SMB/DMI 2.0 also
> : have the table-based interface (because this is what they want to use
> : with NT).
> :
> : You can do all the table-based stuff with /dev/mem, obviously enough.
>
> How do you think I found out that I don't have a table :-).  The
> machine that I have was built BEFORE the 2.1 spec was released which
> is the first spec to define the table (at least according to the copy
> I grabbed from the Pheonix web site).

I'd have to go check again, but I'm pretty certain that I have a couple
of DMI 2.0 machines (Intel PR440FX and ASUS P2L97) that have the table
- it's optional in 2.0 rather than mandatory IIRC.  Still, if you don't
have it, you don't have it. 8)

> I'm looking at two or three projects with the BIOS stuff.  One is to
> have a program similar to one that exists on some (all?) windows boxes
> that will tell me the resources that my machine uses.

This is what I was playing with; extracting the available resource list
as well as the occupancy of the system's onboard hardware.

> One is to use this information to "dig" for undocumented features of
> the motherboard that I'm using.

Heh.  8)

> And one is to get the APM device mappings so that I can try to control
> the Libretto a little better.

I'd be curious to know if you actually get any of those mappings out of
it.  You might want to see if the Libretto has an SMB Bus BIOS
interface as well; you may be able to find stuff on that that's
interesting.

>  Not all of these are
> SMB, per se, but they are kind of cool side projects that I'd like to
> play with given some time.

Yes; there's lots of fun stuff, the biggest annoyance is that it's hard
to work out from all the documentation what actually got implemented
and what is just leftover wishfulness...

> P.S.  Is dingo still around?

At times; it's one of the hats that my laptop wears.  You're not trying
to send replies to the envelope sender are you?  I do my best to
masquerade as a deliverable domain, but it'd hard without a single,
visible host that I control somewhere in this new, harsh,
relay-unfriendly world.