Date:      Mon, 13 Aug 2001 11:30:17 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Horwitt <horwitt@aogsquid.ucsd.edu>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Serial port expansion

	I'm looking for a method of connecting 4-8 serial devices to a laptop.
The target connections are instruments that we can 'tip' to.
	Candidates are PCMCIA adapters (eg Quatech QSP-100), USB adapters (eg
Keyspan, Comtrol Rocketport USB serial hub), or ethernet (eg Comtrol Rocketport
ethernet serial hub, NPort server lite/pro). My preference is an ethernet
adapter, since this sounds like it may be the easiest and most portable to
use, though I have no idea how they work. Do you telnet them and then select
a serial port to connect to, or do they use proprietary TCP/IP protocols and
programs, or ???
	Any advice or experience with any of these devices is appreciated; I'm
running FBSD 4.3 (and not really interested in changing to -CURRENT, though
I'm willing to back-hack anything that works).

					Thanks,
					David Horwitt
					Scripps Institution of Oceanography