Date:      Wed, 24 Jan 96 11:11:41 MET
From:      Greg Lehey <lehey.pad@sni.de>
To:        akyol@wireless.Stanford.EDU (Bora Akyol)
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What printed documentation do we need?

>> John>  * installation * dump and restore * fsck * disklabel *
>> John> newfs * maybe a couple others
>>
>> John> Or, more generally, for things you rarely use and
>> John> consequently forget how to use and, almost by definition,
>> John> online documentation is unavailable when you need them.
>>
>> Like adding a new drive to an existing system.
>>
>> --
>> Sean Kelly
>> NOAA Forecast Systems Laboratory, Boulder Colorado USA
>>
>> Whenever I see an old lady slip and fall on a wet sidewalk, my first
>> instinct is to laugh. But then I think, what if I was an ant, and she
>> fell on me. Then it wouldn't seem quite so funny.  -- Jack Handey
>>
> By the way,
> How complete are the O'reilly books that are on 4.4BSD. I browsed
> through and
> thought that they
> were mostly man pages.
> I am thinking about buying them but do not know if it's worth it.

The URM, PRM and SMM are man pages with a permutated index.  The PSD
and USD are guides, but as I said in my last message, they're not
exactly up-to-date.

Whether you find printed man pages an advantage or not depends a lot
on how they're presented.  I have all the O'Reilly 4.4BSD manuals, and
I hardly use them because they're not accurate enough.  On the other
hand, I might use printed manuals if they related more closely to the
system.

Greg